Thursday, April 1, 2010

Beautiful Songs for The Beautiful Game

As I was watching the performances of selected songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals in Beijing, my attention was caught on a visual image of a football wrapped in barbed wire. It was the introducing image for the musical THE BEAUTIFUL GAME.

Having caught my attention, I had to wiki this musical. It was only then that I found out this musical brings to life the issues of religious intolerance using the context of the beautiful game - football. I think we should be very grateful that our country practices harmony of races and religions.

Note in musicals, the script is SUNG rather than READ, and there are stage props and lighting to create the effects. Here is the segment titled "The Final" featuring nifty footwork usually seen in the fields, cleverly woven into a segment featuring a football game - check out the retractable goalpost!



The following song "Let Us Love in Peace" is an emotional expression of the longing for something that we Singaporeans take for granted - peace in one's country and community:

No comments:

Post a Comment